Just a brief note on creating bootable media on a chromebook.
The chromeOS Recovery Utility app is used to create recovery media for a chromeOS device. However, you can also use it to create bootable media such as for a Raspberry Pi or other SBC.
- Download the image you want to use to your chromebook
- Zip the image (if it isn’t zipped) because the Recovery utility looks for zip files:
- select the image in the Files app
- right-click (two finger tap) for context menu and select “Zip selection”
- Start the Recovery Utility
- From the gear menu (top right), select “Use local image”
- Choose your zipped image
- Insert and Choose the media to write (usb/sdcard)
(Step 2 Update: if it isn’t zipped, you can just change the
.img extension to
Once created, it will be mounted so eject it from the Files app, remove from your chromebook, insert into your SBC and power it up.